Tube Amp Build #2 Part 1

Google Sketchup of amp cabinet
This is the Google Sketchup of the amp cabinet.

I began a similar project like this a while back when I wanted to build a tube amp. I followed the schematic on the Instructable found here. It sounds great, but it isn’t that attractive. I was more interested in the electronics more than the construction of the cabinet last time. This new one has to be good looking, and sturdy.

Most of my parts are coming from http://www.tubesandmore.com/. This is because they offer free shipping. There are only a few things that I bought elsewhere. The switches came from http://www.jameco.com/. I just ordered a pile of switches from there, so I’ll just use those. In the future, I may order the resistors and capacitors from Jameco, but I didn’t have a need to make another order. The difference in savings did not outweigh the shipping costs.

I am beginning by building the cabinet. Gmoon did a great job on his amp cabinet. There’s no way I can do as good as he did without lots of practice. I am making a simple plywood box, and I am covering it with spray glue and auto carpet. I am installing a carry handle and 8 plastic corners.

The first step that I took in building the amp cabinet was to design it in Google Sketchup. I’ve learned that having a plan can save a lot of scraps and mistakes. The only measurements that I did not follow were for the speaker mount board and the back board. They will be covered separately and made removable, so I had to leave gaps to allow for the covering.

I simply joined the plywood boards together using glue and a nail gun and then drilled pilot holes using a 3/32″ drill bit. Then I used drywall screws to draw the seams as tight as possible. After the glue dries I plan on removing the screws and countersinking them.

The edges were slightly rounded using a router. I probably won’t remove more than 3/16″ off the corners. I’ll take just enough to make them curved.

Finally, it’s time to apply glue and cover the pieces. This is the part that takes the most attention to detail. The junctions are the toughest part to cover. I think it took about 90 minutes to cut the carpet and cover the amp.

This entry was posted in Electronics, Tube Amp Building and tagged , , , , by robbie. Bookmark the permalink.

About robbie

I am an electronics enthusiest and a ham radio operator (W1RCP). I like to play with electronics. It's fun and educational. I looked forward to working in the engineering field in the future. I have a BS in Electronics Engineering Technology from DeVry University. I also have an Associate's degree in Marketing Management from Moultrie Tech, and a diploma in Electronics from MTC.

Comments are closed.