The word got out that I was able to piece USB drives back together. This one was a no-namer 1GB drive, and it was thrashed!!! It is missing a resistor and a capacitor. I sure had one heck of a time making the connections, too. One of the data pins had a persistent solder bridge to ground, and I finally whipped out a thin kitchen knife to scrape the bridge away. Then I broke the data pin from the circuit board, bent it up, and made an “air” connection to avoid another bridge. I hate solder bridges on SMT devices. They are just shy from being impossible to get rid of. Continue reading →
Last year I bought a 16GB Sandisk USB drive, and I used it to store homework files that I did during lunch (and more inappropriate times) at work. I worked in the shipping department, and the scale was right in front of the tower. Continue reading →
Lately, hot glue has made its way into my projects. Some of my technical college classmates can remember me bringing in an Altoids can with LEDs and 5 sticks of hot glue melted on the inside. My PIC16F690 POV can was hot glued. Well, I had a USB disk drive stop working the other day so I tore it apart and tried to make sure it wasn’t dead. Well, after a little research I was able to revive it. Since the case was destroyed, I had to find something to put it in to protect it. I have found the solution. Hot glue! It’s an insulator, it applies easily, and it is durable. Above all, I think it looks totally cool being opaque and all.
I wasn’t sure if the heat would hurt the chips, so I ran to the freezer and placed it on ice after each application. I probably won’t lose this one. [9-6-2010 - I lost it!!! How ironic?!?!?!]
This blog is as far as we ever went with this project. Cheap LEDs have color differences, and we couldn’t get it right.
August 20, 2009 @ 2:05pm – The LED arrangement is great for dark rooms, but we need much more light. This plan is going to be “canned” and another solution is going to be sought. I am going to check out the high-power LEDs at the Ebay and see what’s shakin’. It’ll be another 2 weeks before anything else arises. Continue reading →
Clint, the other tech-tut.com owner, and I have joined our powers together to begin designing an 8 can lighting system that would fit any budget. We were, and still are, hoping to keep it under $150. We have had estimates as high as $200, but we keep getting creative. The first money saving device was for Clint to build a computer program to control the settings instead of having a “breakout box” to do all the work. This means that we don’t have to buy a bunch of slider pots and switches, which add up in cost almost exponentially. Continue reading →