Sept. 22, 2009 - Waiting on parts to come in can be boring so I went on a dig through my parts bin and found this LED still in its original packaging. While the packaging leaves a lot to be desired, I actually found the datasheet on RS’ website. I played with this LED and some 1k resistors on a breadboard, and now I’m going to make a night light that changes colors. The original program that I wrote lasts about 15 minutes, and it cycles through all of the colors [edit – at least I thought it would). It uses a rough PWM method that I wrote to fade in and out.
After a little math work I decided on using 20mA for all of my colors. They are rated for 30 to 50 mA depending on the color, but with this I can use the output pins on my PIC12F675. This saves a lot of transistors for another project.
Well, due to eBay difficulties, I was severely delayed in finishing this project. It seems that the person that I ordered my first blue LCD display from didn’t want to send a few folks their stuff this month. I went to check on the status of my order, and there were negative feedbacks from around the time that I placed it. So much for that. They sure were inexpensive.
Read below for history, but the final project is here!
This is an update to Infrared remote light control system. I never included the schematic, which is good because it was a great idea, but horribly implemented. Ten months ago I was only getting started with C, and now I know even more than before. I have updated the remote controller program and schematic to make it work even better. I used a sleep() function and the Watch Dog Timer to make it low power and to simplify the operation and construction. I’ll leave the old posting, but this is the best way to make the remote. I’ll disassemble the receiver and get a schematic out for that, someday.
Over the past two days my wife and child have been sick so I’ve had lots of home time to work on this project. It’s pretty amazing to me that I just started this PIC16F690 POV project less than two days ago, and I already have it finished and working. I worked pretty hard to get the C files completed for this. I also drew a board with Eagle, but I just used some scrap perfboard. Nothing in the world beats point to point soldering. It was actually pretty easy since there isn’t really much to solder in this project.
This is just a short post on how I used an interrupt to make my Pickit 2 cycle through the LEDs. This is a very simple program, and sadly I tried this once before and it didn’t work. I did a little research and found that I didn’t enable the correct interrupts. This experiment is just one of a few that may need to take place to design my POV for my CCS compiler. I have a Picaxe POV, but I want high brightness LEDs and it to be in C. I like projects, and this one (POV) is going to be a little bit different than the Picaxe one. Enjoy the journey in developing my next toy.