Designing and Building Tube Amps!
The idea to build my first tube amp came from an idea some classmates and I had in 2008. We decided that we wanted to build a guitar amp, so I did some research on it; I had to decide what options we had. Basically, we could go solid state or we could go with vacuum tubes. I was somehow very attracted to the tubes.
A little more research gave me some great resources. First, “Guitar Tube Amp by Gmoon” on Instructables.com was my first find. The second big find was “AX84.com” which gave me much more theory and calculations than I cared to use. It’s there if you want to do it, though.
In the end, I wound up being the only person finally building an amp. I’m extremely pleased with the outcome because I have gone on to build several different tube amps. As of June 2014 I have a single 6DG6GT amp, an EL84 amp, and an ongoing “upcycle” tube amp build in the process.
Links to my tube amp posts
6DG6GT Tube amp
- Building a Tube Amp from Scratch: Crazy! – (12-27-2008) This is a tube amp built using a 12AX7 preamp and 2 – 6DG6GT power tubes. I got the idea to build this amp from an Instructable.
- 6DG6GT Tube Amp Design – (4-10-2013) The day I decided to redesign this amp.
- 6DG6GT Tube Amp Images – (6-9-2014) The final design per V1.4!
- 6DG6GT – (6-11-2014) I changed the tone stack to Vox style
- 6DG6GT – (9-4-2014) Updated tone stack values and redrew schematic V1.52
EL84 Tube Amp
- Tube Amp Build #2 Part 1 - (6-20-2010) This is part 1 of my second tube amp build. This outlines how I designed the cabinet using Google Sketchup.
- Tube Amp Build #2 Part 2 (The Circuit Design) – (6-20-2010) This is part 2 of the second tube amp build. This outlines the circuit design process. (More detailed designing and how to is best found at AX84.)
- Tube Amp Build #2 Part 3 (Real-World Testing) - (6-20-2010) This is part 3 of the second tube amp build. This outlines a little of the real world testing.
- The baby is asleep, and the 6W tube amp is quiet… - (8-12-2010) This was a late night post after replacing a cathode bypass resistor. I was super happy with what I could tell.
Schematics and Design Files
- Tube Amp Build #1 – 6DG6GT SE Tube Amp Schematic V1.52 [9-4-2014]
- Tube Amp Build #2 – EL84 SE Tube Amp Schematic V1.41 [9-4-2014]
Tube Amp #2: EL84 Output (Schematic Version 1)